I grew up in Chicago and studied and worked as a geologist in the U.S. before moving to Australia in 1994. Since moving here I have spent all of my time teaching ANU undergrads and working in the experimental petrology group.
- BS Beloit College, 1982
- MS Missouri, 1989
- PhD Virginia Tech, 1994
Selected recent publications;
- Peterson EC and Mavrogenes JA (2014) Linking high-grade gold mineralisation to earthquake-induced fault-valve processes in the Porgera gold deposit, Papua New Guinea. Geology, published online March 18, DOI: 10.1130/G35286.1
- Mavrogenes JA, Frost BR and Sparks HA (2014) Experimental evidence of sulfide melt evolution via immiscibility and fractional crystallization. Canadian Mineralogist, v. 51, p. 841-850.
- Tanner D, Mavrogenes JA, Arculus RJ and Jenner FE (2014) Trace element stratigraphy of the Bellevue Core, Northern Bushveld: multiple magma injections obscured by diffusive processes. Journal of Petrology. DOI: 10.1093/petrology/egu009
- Tanner D, Henley RW, Mavrogenes JA and Holden P (2013) Combining in situ isotopic, trace element and textural analyses of quartz from four magmatic-hydrothermal ore deposits. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology, v. 166, p. 1119-1142.
- Jenner FE, Arculus RJ, Mavrogenes JA, Dyriw NJ, Nebel O and Hauri EH (2012) Chalcophile element systematics in volcanic glasses from the northwestern Lau Basin. Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems. v. 13, Article Number: Q06014 DOI: 10.1029/2012GC004088.
- Henley RW, Mavrogenes JA and Tanner D (2012) Sulfosalt melts and heavy metal (As-Sb-Bi-Sn-Pb-Tl) fractionation during volcanic gas expansion: the El Indio (Chile) paleo-fumarole. Geofluids| DOI: 10.1111/j.1468-8123.2011.00357.x.
- Jenner FE, O’Neill HSC, Arculus RJ and Mavrogenes JA (2010) The magnetite crisis in the evolution of arc-related magmas and the initial concentration of Au, Ag and Cu. Journal of Petrology, v. 51, p. 2445-2464.
- Mavrogenes JA, Henley RW, Reyes AC, Berger B (2010) Sulfosalt melts: evidence of high temperature vapor transport of metals in the formation of high sulfidation lode gold deposits. Economic Geology, v. 105, p. 257-262.