RJL Hawke Fellow (Australian Antarctic Division) July’17 – Present
CoE Postdoctoral Research Fellow March‘17 –June’17
ARC (DECRA) & ANU Research Fellow Jan ‘14 – Feb ‘17
Postdoctoral Research Fellow April ‘12 – Dec’ 13
- Future Fellowship, Australian Research Council 2018
- RJL Hawke Fellowship, Australian Antarctic Division 2017
- Discovery Early Research Career Award (DECRA) 2013
- Andreas Acrivos best Dissertation Award in Fluid Dynamics (American Physical Society) 2013
- Outstanding Graduate Student Award, MAE, UCSD 2011
- Graduate research Fellowship from University of California 2007
Competitive Research Grants
- Project ID: AAS 4422 (Australian Antarctic Division 2017) A new approach to ice melting rates: direct numerical simulation. Amount funded: $192,000.00.
- Project ID: LE150100089 (ARC LIEF 2015) CI: Pitman, A (Gayen, B is a Co-CI among a team) Connecting big data with high performance computing for climate system science. Amount funded: $490,000.00.
- Project ID: AAS 4287 (Australian Antarctic Division 2015) PI: Galton-Fenzi, B (Gayen, B is a Co-CI among a team) Ocean forced evolution of the Antarctic Ice Sheet. Amount funded: $ 213,000.00.
- Project ID: DE140100089 (ARC DE 2014) CI: Gayen, B. A new understanding of Antarctic ice melting. Amount funded: $371,151.0 (2014-2016).
- Project ID: DP140103706 (ARC DP 2014) CI: Griffiths, R. W. & Gayen, B. Interacting processes for Southern Ocean circulation. Amount funded: $405,000.0 (2014-2016).
- Project ID: ANU Early Career Research travel grant (2013) CI: Gayen, B. Amount funded: $2100.00.
Potential project opportunities
See list of publications in scholar google
Publication with my student is star marked.
24.* T. Sohail, B. Gayen and A. McC. Hogg (2018). Convection enhances mixing in the Southern Ocean, Geophys. Res. Lett., In press https://doi.org/10.1029/2018GL077711.
23.* M. Rosevear, B. Gayen and R. W. Griffiths (2017) Turbulent horizontal convection under spatially periodic forcing: a regime governed by interior inertia. J. Fluid Mech., 831, 491-523
22.* C. Vreugdenhil, R. W. Griffiths and B. Gayen (2017)
Geostrophic and chimney regime in the rotationg horizontal convection with imposed heat flux
J. Geophys Res. Oceans 823, 57-99
21.* C. Vreugdenhil, B. Gayen and R. W. Griffiths (2016)
Mixing and dissipation in a geostrophic buoyancy-driven circulation
J. Geophys Res. Oceans 121 (8), 6076-6091
20. B. Gayen, R. W. Griffiths and R. C. Kerr (2016)
Simulation of convection at a vertical ice face dissolving into saline water
Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 798, 284-.298
19. R. W. Griffiths and B Gayen (2015)
Turbulent convection insights from small-Scale thermal forcing with zero net heat flux at a horizontal boundary. Physical Review LettersPhys. Rev. Lett. 115, 204301
18.I. Rossa, A. McC. Hogg, A. E. Kiss and B. Gayen (2015)
Topographc influence on sub-mesoscale dynamics in the Southern Ocean, Geophysical Research Lett. doi: 10.1002/2014GL062720
17.B. Gayen & S. Sarkar (2014)
PSI to turbulence during internal wave beam refraction through the upper ocean pycnocline, Geophysical Research Lett. 41, 8953–8960, doi: 10.1002/2014GL061226
16.B. Gayen, R. W. Griffiths and G. O. Hughes(2014)
Stability transitions and turbulence in horizontal convection, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 751, 698-724.
14.B. Gayen & S. Sarkar (2013)
Degradation of an internal wave beam by parametric subharmonic instability in an upper ocean pycnocline
J. Geophys Res. Oceans, 118, 4689–4698, doi:10.1002/jgrc.20321.
13. G. O. Hughes,B. Gayenand R. W. Griffiths(2013)
Available Potential Energy in Rayleigh-Benard Convection, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 729, R2, 1-10
12. R. W. Griffiths, G. O. Hughes and B. Gayen (2013)
10. V. Chalamalla, B. Gayen, A. Scotti & S. Sarkar (2013)
Near critical reflection of internal gravity waves on a sloping boundaryJournal of Fluid Mechanics 729, 47-68
9.N. R. Rapaka, B. Gayen & S. Sarkar (2013)
Direct and large eddy simulations of conversion to internal tides at a model ridge
Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 715 pp 181 - 209
7. B. Gayen & S. Sarkar (2011)
Boundary mixing by density overturns in an internal tidal beam Geophysical Research Lett. VOL. 38, L14608.
6. B. Gayen & M. Alam (2011)
Effect of Coulomb friction on orientational correlation and velocity distribution functions in a sheared dilute granular gas.
Phys. Rev. E., 84, 021304.
5.B. Gayen & S. Sarkar (2011)
Direct and large eddy simulations of internal tide generation at a near critical slope
Journal of Fluid Mechanics 681: 48-79.
4. B. Gayen and S. Sarkar (2010)
Turbulence during the generation of internal tide on a critical slope.
Phys. Rev. Lett., 104, p. 218502.
3. B. Gayen and S. Sarkar and J. R. Taylor (2010)
LES of a stratified boundary layer under an oscillatory current.
Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 643, p. 233--266.
2. B. Gayen & M. Alam (2008)
Orientational Correlation and Velocity Distributions in Uniform Shear Flow of a Dilute Granular Gas.
Phys. Rev. Lett., 100, p. 068002.
1. B. Gayen & M. Alam (2006)
Algebraic and exponential instabilities in a sheared micropolar granular fluid.
Journal of Fluid Mechanics 567, p. 195--233.