2019 - Present: ARC DECRA Fellow at RSES, ANU
Jun 2016 - Present: Research Fellow at RSES, ANU (Continuing)
Jan 2015 - Jun 2016: Postdoctoral Research Fellow at The University of Southampton, National Oceanography Centre Southampton (departmental fellowship)
Aug 2010 - Dec 2014: PhD, Yale University, Dept. of Geology & Geophysics
2006 - 2010: MSci Geophysics, Imperial College London, Royal School of Mines
2008 - 2009: Undergraduate Year Abroad, UC Berkeley, Berkeley Seismological Laboratory
My main areas of interest lie in observational seismology and geodynamics, and particularly in combining them to investigate plate tectonic processes. In particular I use seismic anisotropy to investigate patterns of mantle flow, which is our primary observational tool for studying mantle convection and the dynamics of the Earth's interior. I apply this technique to a variety of tectonic settings, on both regional and global scales, from subduction zones, to mid-ocean ridges, to the Australian continental interior.
Current Projects & Grants:
2019-present: Lake Eyre Basin Seismic Array (new AuScope deployment) - Lead PI
2019-2022: ARC DECRA Fellowship, "What's Shaking Down Under?" (DE190100062)
2020: MNF Primary Granted Voyage on RV Investigator, "Probing the Australian-Pacific plate boundary: Macquarie Ridge in 3D", co-PI. (IN2020_V02)
2020-2023: ANU Futures Scheme, "Our Watery Planet: The New Era of Seismology"
12. Eakin, C.M., Rychert, C.A., Harmon, N. (2018) The role of oceanic transform faults in seafloor spreading: A global perspective from seismic anisotropy. JGR - Solid Earth, doi: 10.1002/2017JB015176. EOS Spotlight Article.
11. Eakin, C.M., Lithgow-Bertelloni, C. (2018) An overview of Dynamic Topography: The Influence of Mantle Circulation on Surface Topography and Landscape, In: Hoorn, C., Perrigo, A., and Antonelli, A. (Eds.), Mountains, Climate, and Biodiversity. John Wiley & Sons. ISBN: 978-1-119-15987-2. [pdf]
10. Paul, J.D., Eakin, C.M., (2017) Mantle upwelling beneath Madagascar: Evidence from receiver function analysis and shear wave splitting, Journal of Seismology, doi:10.1007/s10950-016-9637-x [pdf]
9. Long, M.D., Biryol, C.B., Eakin, C.M., Beck, S.L., Wagner, L.S., Zandt, G., Minaya, E., Tavera, H. (2016) Overriding plate, mantle wedge, slab, and sub-slab contributions to seismic anisotropy beneath the northern Central Andean Plateau. Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems, doi: 10.1002/2016GC006316 [pdf]
8. Eakin, C.M., Long, M.D., Scire, A., Beck, S.L., Wagner, L.S., Zandt, G., Tavera, H. (2016) Deformation within the subducted Nazca slab from seismic anisotropy, Nature Geoscience, 9, 56-59, doi: 10.1038/ngeo2592 [pdf] Press Release
7. Eakin, C.M., Long, M.D., Wagner, L.S., Beck, S.L., Tavera, H. (2015) Upper mantle anisotropy beneath Peru from SKS splitting: Constraints on flat slab dynamics and interactions with the Nazca Ridge, Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 412, 152-162, doi:10.1016/j.epsl.2014.12.015 [pdf]
6. Eakin, C.M., Lithgow-Bertelloni, C., Dávila, F.M. (2014) Influence of Peruvian Flat-Subduction Dynamics on the Evolution of Western Amazonia, Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 404, 250-260, doi: 10.1016/j.epsl.2014.07.027 [pdf]
5. Eakin, C.M., Long, M.D., Beck, S.L., Wagner, L.S., Tavera, H., Condori, C. (2014) Response of the Mantle to Flat Slab Evolution: Insights from Local S Splitting beneath Peru, Geophysical Research Letters, 41, 3438-3446, doi: 10.1002/2014GL059943 [pdf]
4. Eakin, C.M., Long, M.D. (2013) Complex anisotropy beneath the Peruvian flat-slab from frequency- dependent, multiple-phase shear wave splitting analysis, JGR - Solid Earth, 118, 4794-4813, doi:10.1002/ jgrb.50349 [pdf]
3. Goes, S., Eakin, C.M., Ritsema, J. (2013) Lithospheric cooling trends and deviations in oceanic PP-P and SS-S differential traveltimes, JGR- Solid Earth, 118, 996–1007, doi:10.1002/jgrb.50092
2. Towner, M.C., Eakin, C., Conway, S.J., Harrison, S. (2011) Geologically recent water flow inferred in channel systems in the NE Sulci Gordii region, Mars. In: Martian Geomorphology, Special Publication, Geological Society, London, v. 356, pp. 229-256. [pdf]
1. Eakin, C.M., Obrebski, M., Allen, R. M., Boyarko, D.C., Brudzinski, M.R, Porritt, R. (2010) Seismic Anisotropy beneath Cascadia and the Mendocino Triple Junction: Interaction of the Subducting Slab with Mantle Flow, Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 297, 627-632. [pdf]
Manuscripts in Review/Revision
R3. Eakin, C.M., Wirth, E.A., Wallace, A., Ulberg C.W., Creager K.C., Abers, G.A. (In Review) SKS Splitting beneath Mount St. Helens: Constraints on Sub-Slab Mantle Entrainment, G-cubed
R2. Condori, C., França, G.S., Tavera, H.J., Eakin, C.M., Lynner, C., Beck, S.L., Villegas-Lanza, J.C. (In Revision) Upper plate seismic anisotropy beneath northern Peru from shear wave splitting, PEPI
R1. Davies, D.R., Valentine, A.P., Kramer, S.C., Rawlinson, N., Hoggard, M.J., Eakin, C.M., and Wilson, C.R. (In Revision) "Earth’s Dynamic Topography", Nat. Geo.
Manuscripts in Preparation
P3. Possee, D., D Keir, N Harmon, C Rychert, CM Eakin, F Rolandone, S Leroy, J Corbeau, G Stuart, D Boisson, R Momplaisir, C Prépetit. Spatial variations in Crustal and Mantle Anisotropy Across the North American Caribbean Plate Boundary on Haiti.
P2. Gallacher, R.J., C.M. Eakin, D. Keir, S. Leroy, C. Ebinger, G. Stuart, N. Harmon, A.A. Lazki, A. Ahmed. Evidence for small-scale convection beneath the margins of the Gulf of Aden from shear wave splitting.
P1. Agrawal, S., C.M. Eakin. Constraining the dynamics of the subducting Nazca slab from seismic anisotropy.