I am interested in the interactions between the ice-ocean-climate system during the Quaternary. My current research focuses on the contribution of former ice-sheets to global sea-level budgets using both direct evidence such as marine records of ice-rafted debris and indirect evidence as recorded in coral or sedimentary archives. Much of my work is collaborative and interdisciplinary (encompassing aspects of glaciology, climatology, oceanography and geochronology). I joined the The Australian National University in 2016. Prior to this I was based at the National Oceanography Centre, Southampton (UK) and obtained my PhD from the University of St Andrews (UK) in 2011.
Main research interests:
- Sea level change
- Quaternary ocean and climate dynamics (especially ice-ocean-climate interactions)
- The paleoceanography of the North Atlantic
- Ice-rafted debris and its provenance
- Tephra, marine radiocarbon and other methods of age control within marine sediments
- Rohling, E.J.*, Hibbert, F.D.*, Williams, F.H.*, Grant, K.M., Marine, G., Foster, G.L., Hennekam, R., de Lange, G.J., Robert, A.P., Yu, J., Webster, J.M., Yokoyama, Y. 2017. Differences between the last two glacial maxima and implications for ice-sheet, d18O, and sea-level reconstructions. Quaternary Science Reviews (invited review) (accepted).* = joint first authors
- Hibbert FD, Rohling EJ, Dutton A, Chatcharavan, PM, Zhao C, Williams F, Tamisea, M. (2016). Coral indicators of past sea-level change: a global repository of U-series dated benchmarks. Invited review. Quaternary Science Reviews 145: 1-56. doi:10.1016/j.quascirev.2016.04.019 DATA
- Channell JET, Harrison, R.J., Lascu, I., McCave I.N., Hibbert, F.D., Austin, W.E.N. (2016). Magnetic record of deglaciation using FORC-PCA, sortable-silt grain size, and magnetic excursion at 26 ka, from the Rockall Trough (NE Atlantic). Geochemistry, Geophyscis, Geosystems doi: 10.1002/2016GC006300
- Düsterhus A, Rovere A, Carlson AE, Barlow NLM, Bradwell T, Clark J, Dutton A, Gehrels R, Hibbert FD, Hijma MP, Horton BP, Klemann V, Kopp RE, Sivan D, Tarasov L, Törnqvist TE. (2016). Palaeo sea-level and ice-sheet databases: problems, strategies and perspectives. Climate of the Past 12: 911-921. doi: 10.5194/cp-12-911-2016
- Hibbert F.D, Wastegård S, Gwynn R, Austin W.E.N. (2014). Identification of a MIS 6 age (ca. 180ka) Icelandic tephra within N.E. Atlantic sediments: a new potential chronostratigraphic marker. Austin, W. E. N., Abbott, P. M., Davies, S. M., Pearce, N. J. G. & Wastegård, S. (eds) Marine Tephrochronology. Geological Society, London, Special Publications, 398, http://dx.doi.org/10.1144/SP398.10
- Abbott PM, Austin WEN, Davies SM, Pearce NJG, Hibbert FD. (2013). Cryptotephrochronology over the Eemian and the last interglacial-glacial transition in the North East Atlantic. Quaternary Science Reviews 28(5) 501–514
- Austin WEN and Hibbert FD. (2012). Tracing Time in the Ocean: A brief review of chronological constraints in marine event-based stratigraphies 8-60 ka. Quaternary Science Reviews.36: 28-37.
- Austin WEN, Hibbert FD, Rasmussen SO, Peters C, Abbott PM, Bryant CL. (2012). The synchronisation of palaeoclimatic events in the North Atlantic region during Greenland Stadial 3.Quaternary Science Reviews doi: 10.1016/j.quascirev.2010.12.014
- Hibbert FD. (2011). Dynamics of the British Ice Sheet and Prevailing Hydrographic Conditions for the Last 175,000 years: An investigation of marine sediment core MD04-2822 from the Rockall Trough. PhD thesis, University of St Andrews.
- Abbott PM, Davies SM, Austin WEN, Pearce NJG, Hibbert FD. (2011). Identification of cryptotephra horizons in a North East Atlantic marine record spanning marine isotope stages 4 and 5a (∼60,000-82,000 a b2k). Quaternary International 246: 177-189.
- Hibbert FD, Austin WEN, Leng MJ, Gatliff RW. (2010). British Ice Sheet Dynamics inferred from North Atlantic ice-rafted debris records spanning the last 175,000 years. Journal of Quaternary Science 25(4): 461–482 DOI: 10.1002/jqs.1331
- Peters C, Austin WEN, Walden J, Hibbert FD. (2010). Magnetic characterisation and correlation of a Younger Dryas tephra in North Atlantic marine sediments. Journal of Quaternary Science 25: 339–347.
- Leslie A., Hitchen K., Wallis D, Dove D., Hibbert FD, Gatliff R.W., Owen N. (2009). Cruise 2009/05: Site survey investigation and planning for drill sites in the Irish Shelf / Rockall / Hatton area. British Geological Survey Internal Report, IR/09/075. 48pp.
- Hibbert FD. (2007). QRA AGM, St Andrews: The growth Maximum Extent and Deglaciation of the last British and Irish Ice Sheet. Quaternary Newsletter 113: 25-32