I grew up in Chicago and studied and worked as a geologist in the U.S. before moving to Australia in 1994. Since moving here I have spent all of my time teaching ANU undergrads and working in the experimental petrology group.
- BS Beloit College, 1982
- MS Missouri, 1989
- PhD Virginia Tech, 1994
I am interested in applying analytical and experimental techniques to problems of ore genesis. This includes determining key controls on processes that lead to ore formation in magmatic and hydrothermal settings, particularly in sub-volcanic settings. I prefer to link field-based and experimental studies to determine how ore forms.
Selected recent publications;
- Peterson EC and Mavrogenes JA (2014) Linking high-grade gold mineralisation to earthquake-induced fault-valve processes in the Porgera gold deposit, Papua New Guinea. Geology, published online March 18, DOI: 10.1130/G35286.1
- Mavrogenes JA, Frost BR and Sparks HA (2014) Experimental evidence of sulfide melt evolution via immiscibility and fractional crystallization. Canadian Mineralogist, v. 51, p. 841-850.
- Tanner D, Mavrogenes JA, Arculus RJ and Jenner FE (2014) Trace element stratigraphy of the Bellevue Core, Northern Bushveld: multiple magma injections obscured by diffusive processes. Journal of Petrology. DOI: 10.1093/petrology/egu009
- Tanner D, Henley RW, Mavrogenes JA and Holden P (2013) Combining in situ isotopic, trace element and textural analyses of quartz from four magmatic-hydrothermal ore deposits. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology, v. 166, p. 1119-1142.
- Jenner FE, Arculus RJ, Mavrogenes JA, Dyriw NJ, Nebel O and Hauri EH (2012) Chalcophile element systematics in volcanic glasses from the northwestern Lau Basin. Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems. v. 13, Article Number: Q06014 DOI: 10.1029/2012GC004088.
- Henley RW, Mavrogenes JA and Tanner D (2012) Sulfosalt melts and heavy metal (As-Sb-Bi-Sn-Pb-Tl) fractionation during volcanic gas expansion: the El Indio (Chile) paleo-fumarole. Geofluids| DOI: 10.1111/j.1468-8123.2011.00357.x.
- Jenner FE, O’Neill HSC, Arculus RJ and Mavrogenes JA (2010) The magnetite crisis in the evolution of arc-related magmas and the initial concentration of Au, Ag and Cu. Journal of Petrology, v. 51, p. 2445-2464.
- Mavrogenes JA, Henley RW, Reyes AC, Berger B (2010) Sulfosalt melts: evidence of high temperature vapor transport of metals in the formation of high sulfidation lode gold deposits. Economic Geology, v. 105, p. 257-262.