My native name is Phạm Thành Sơn.
I have background in Applied Mathematics and computational skills (as a back-end software developer). In ICTP Trieste, I did an intensive coursework program in Geophysics and decided to pursue a career in Global Seismology.
Now, I am a student working under the supervison of As/Prof Hrvoje Tkalčić. My PhD subject involves autocorrelation and crosscorrelation techniques to analyze seismic waveforms for crustal imaging and studying Earth's deep interior.
- Autocorrelation technique in crustal imaging
- Planetary-scale crosscorrelation
- Full waveform simulation
- Computational seismology
Tkalčić, H. and T.-S. Phạm (2018), Shear properties of the Earth's inner core revealed by a detection of J waves in global correlation wavefield, accepted 10/09/2018.
Phạm T.-S. and H. Tkalčić (2018), Antarctic Ice Properties Revealed from Teleseismic P-Wave Coda Autocorrelation, J. Geophys. Res., 123, doi:10.1029/2018JB016115 [pdf].
Kennett, B.L.N. and T.-S. Phạm (2018), Evolution of the correlation wavefield extracted from seismic event coda, Phys. Earth Planet. Inter., 282, doi:10.1016/j.pepi.2018.07.004 [pdf].
Kennett, B.L.N. and T.-S. Phạm (2018), The Nature of Earth's Correlation Wavefield: Late Coda of Large Earthquakes, Proc. R. Soc. A, 474 (2214), doi:10.1098/rspa.2018.0082 [pdf].
- Phạm, T.-S., H. Tkalčić, M. Sambridge, and B. L. N. Kennett (2018), Earth’s correlation wavefield: Late coda correlation, Geophys. Res. Lett., 45 (7), doi:10.1002/2018GL077244 [pdf].
Phạm T.-S. and H. Tkalčić (2017), On the feasibility and use of teleseismic P-wave coda autocorrelation for mapping shallow seismic discontinuities, J. Geophys. Res., 122 (5), doi:10.1002/2017JB013975 [pdf].
Selected Conference Abstracts
- Phạm T.-S., H. Tkalčić and B. Tauzin (2018). Improved Earth imaging beneath the ice cover of Antarctica using passive seismology: circumventing the problem of strong reverberations, Oct 14-18, Adelaide, Australia.
- Tkalčić H. and T.-S. Phạm (2018). EGU2018-5834: New Constraints on the Earth’s Core From Global Correlation Wavefield, EGU General Assembly, Apr 8-13, Vienna, Austria.
- Phạm T.-S., H. Tkalčić and M. Sambridge (2017). S33D-07: Interferometric Seismic Sources on the Core Mantle Boundary Revealed by Seismic Coda Crosscorrelation, AGU Fall Meeting, Dec 11-15, New Orleans, USA.
- Tkalčić H., Phạm T.-S. and M. Sambridge (2017). S43G-05: Earth’s Multiple Reverberations From Global Seismic Interferometry Provide new Constraints on the Earth’s Internal Structure, AGU Fall Meeting, Dec 11-15, New Orleans, USA.
- Phạm T.-S., H. Tkalčić, (2017). On the feasibility and use of teleseismic P-wave coda autocorrelation for mapping shallow seismic discontinuities, IAG-IASPEI Meeting, Jul 30 - Aug 4, Kobe, Japan.
- Phạm T.-S., H. Tkalčić and M. Sambridge (2017). Toward probing the deep Earth's interior using spiral-arm arrays and principles of seismic interferometry, IAG-IASPEI Meeting, Jul 30 - Aug 4, Kobe, Japan.
- Phạm T.-S., H. Tkalčić, B.L.N. Kennett and M. Sambridge (2016). Teleseismic interferometry in studying shallow subsurface structures: Detection of interfaces beneath Antarctic stations, The 11th Asian Seismological Commission General Assembly, Nov 25-27, Melbourne, Australia.