My research aims to understand what drives the ocean's large-scale circulation. I use a range of high-resolution ocean and climate models to study past and future climate change, with a focus on understanding how ocean circulation changes and impacts global climate. Regionally, my main focus is on the Southern Ocean, investigating how eddies and the overturning circulation impact ocean heat and carbon uptake and the melt rate of Antarctic ice shelves.
16. H. Drake, A. K. Morrison, S. M. Griffies, J. L. Sarmiento, W. Weijer, A. R. Gray (2017), Lagrangian timescales of Southern Ocean upwelling in a hierarchy of model resolutions, Submitted.
15. V. Tamsitt, H. Drake, A. K. Morrison, L. D. Talley, C. O. Dufour, A. R. Gray, S. M. Griffies, M. R. Mazloff, J. L. Sarmiento, J. Wang, W. Weijer (2017), Spiraling up: pathways of global deep waters to the surface of the Southern Ocean, Nat. Commun., 8, 172.
14. C. O. Dufour, A. K. Morrison, S. M. Griffies, I. Frenger, H. Zanowski, M. Winton (2017), Preconditioning of the Weddell Sea polynya by the ocean mesoscale and dense water overflows. J.Clim., 30, 7719-7737.
13. J. M. Jones, S. T. Gille, H. Goosse, N. J. Abram, P. O. Canziani, D. J. Charman, K. R. Clem, X. Crosta, C. de Lavergne, I. Eisenman, M. H. England, R. L. Fogt, L. M. Frankcombe, G. J. Marshall, V. Masson-Delmotte, A. K. Morrison, A. J. Orsi, M. N. Raphael, J. A. Renwick, D. P. Schneider, G. R. Simpkins, E. J. Steig, B. Stenni, D. Swingedouw and T. R. Vance (2016), Assessing recent trends in high-latitude Southern Hemisphere surface climate, Nature Clim. Change, 6, 917-926.
12. A. K. Morrison, S. M. Griffies, M. Winton, W. G. Anderson and J. L. Sarmiento (2016), Mechanisms of Southern Ocean heat uptake and transport in a global eddying climate model, J. Clim., 29, 2059-2075.
11. A. Biastoch, J. V. Durgadoo, A. K. Morrison, E. van Sebille, W. Weijer and S. M. Griffies, (2015), Atlantic multi-decadal oscillation covaries with Agulhas leakage, Nat. Commun., 6, 10082.
10. C. O. Dufour, S. M. Griffies, G. F. de Souza, I. Frenger, A. K. Morrison, J. B. Palter, J. L. Sarmiento, E. D. Galbriath, J. P. Dunne, W. G. Anderson and R. D. Slater, (2015), Role of mesoscale eddies in cross-frontal transport of heat and biogeochemical tracers in the Southern Ocean, J. Phys. Oceanogr., 45, 3057-3081.
9. A. K. Morrison, M. H. England and A. McC. Hogg, (2015), Response of Southern Ocean convection and abyssal overturning to surface buoyancy perturbations, J. Clim., 28, 4263- 4278.
8. A. McC. Hogg, M. P. Meredith, D. P. Chambers, E. P. Abrahamsen, C. W. Hughes and A. K. Morrison, (2015), Recent trends in the Southern Ocean eddy field, J. Geophys. Res., 120, 257-267.
7. S. M. Griffies, M. Winton, W. G. Anderson, R. Benson, T. L. Delworth, C. O. Dufour, J. P. Dunne, P. Goddard, A. K. Morrison, A. Rosati, A. T. Wittenberg, J. Yin and R. Zhang, (2015), Impacts on ocean heat from transient mesoscale eddies in a hierarchy of climate models, J. Clim., 28, 952-977.
6. A. K. Morrison, T. L. Froelicher and J. L. Sarmiento, (2015), Upwelling in the Southern Ocean, Phys. Today, 68, 27-32.
5. A. K. Morrison, O. A. Saenko, A. McC. Hogg and P. Spence (2013), The role of vertical eddy flux in Southern Ocean heat uptake, Geophys. Res. Lett., 40, 5445-5450.
4. A. K. Morrison and A. McC. Hogg (2013), On the relationship between Southern Ocean overturning and ACC transport, J. Phys. Oceanogr., 43, 140-148.
3. A. K. Morrison, A. McC. Hogg, and M. L. Ward (2011), Sensitivity of the Southern Ocean overturning circulation to surface buoyancy forcing, Geophys. Res. Lett., 38, L14602.
2. N. P. Robins, C. Figl, S. A. Haine, A. K. Morrison, M. Jeppesen, J. J. Hope, J. D. Close (2006), Achieving peak brightness in an atom laser, Phys. Rev. Lett., 96, 140403.
1. N. P. Robins, A. K. Morrison, J. J. Hope, J. D. Close (2005), Limits to the flux of a continuous atom laser, Phys. Rev. A, 72, 031606.